Through the process of teaching we also learn new things; in my personal experience I can say that as practitioners we still have to learn many important aspects to be considered at the moment of teaching. I have taught the first lesson to intermediate level students, and it was a very exciting experience in which I had the chance to meet new people and share many interesting ideas. I have to be honest and confess that I was really nervous at the beginning of the class; I do not know why but even after more than 5 months teaching different levels I still have that problem. However, I also confess that after 2 minutes teaching I get confident enough and the atmosphere changed for me.
The experience in this group was successful because everything resulted as I thought it was going to be; here I am going to share with you some of the activities that I carried out:
At the beginning I introduced myself, and I think that it allowed me getting confidence; I could see that all the students were paying carefully attention to me, so it motivated me a lot. I think since that moment I felt like in my everyday classes in the extension program; I felt my words were attractive for my students and it was one of the most pleasant moments for me.
The warm activity was a game that my friend Yannely once told me. The game consists on having students in a circle; a volunteer stands inside the circle keeping his eyes closed; the rest of the group walks around the volunteer. At the end the person inside the circle points at someone and asks him a question using the past tense; if the volunteer guesses who the person in front of him is the game ends.
As you can see my students begun using the target structure from the first activity; I decided to do that because I knew they were studying it in the previous class, so it was anything new for them. Through this activity my students also got fun.
Another activity that was absolutely nice was a group discussion based on childhood events; I assigned each group a different statement, so all of them were talking about something different at the same time; later they shared their ideas with the whole class.
There was just one thing that I consider not so ok; it was until I finished my class that I noticed I did not use the board so much; I guess it might be better to write the new vocabulary on the board, so that students had the chance to write it down. This is just one aspect that I am going to consider for next classes.
Well, I just want to teach my second lesson and learn something new; by the way, the group is very nice, so it is really a pleasure to work with them.
Suscribirse a:
Enviar comentarios (Atom)

Wow Ovi, you really got inspired in this entry! =P
ResponderEliminarI think, my dear classmate, that all of us get nervous when we teach (except the ppl who believe they know it all) because we know we're being evaluated and that we are being assigned a grade, which is part of a huge percentage. Do you feel nervous when you teach the students from your levels? I don't think so. It's a pressure, and that's why we feel nervous. However, I know you're an amazing teacher already, and I admire all your work :)
Teacher Ovi, I consider your entry very creative and true .This group it´s a new challenge and even when you have experience teaching it´s normal to feel nervous and it has many reasons.The best thing is that you can observe your own disadvantages and results and improve them. I really feel you teach with enthusiasm and preparation. I have learned many things from you, but I also recommend you to keep on working and don´t care too much about the board...it is necessary, but I almost sure you had plenty of activities in your pocket.
ResponderEliminarI really like the way you expressed your ideas about this teaching experience.
ResponderEliminarI also like the way you worked with the group. I know this is a challenge for you, but i can see that you are not only learning, but also getting experience as teacher in this educative field.
I can also see that you were very creative with the activities you used in your class. Nice job Ovy. GO AHEAD MY FRIEND!!!
Ovidio; The same problem happens to me when starting with another group. I also feel nervous when teaching in a group for the first time. Talking about hte activities you did, I want to suggest something imporant: It would be nice if all of us as classmates may help among us sharing some ideas and activities to develop in a class because I know that most of you are creative and know different games and activities to do in class.
ResponderEliminarOk Ovi as I read, you did a good job. Just continue doing the best of you and improving.