lunes, 16 de agosto de 2010

Third Entry

I am aware that human beings learn something new every day, so it does not matter how experienced a teacher is, at the moment of teaching there is always something that needs to be improved. The last idea refers to one of the activities I developed in this week’s practice, and that I am going to explain later. Everything was going well; I had planned every single detail, so from the very beginning I tried to establish a good rapport, and everything was nice. I explained the use of the articles a and an in sentences.

The first activity was a word game; the objective of this was to help students to remember about some irregular plural nouns. I could see that they really enjoyed the activity because it was something different to what they were accustomed to; they were interacting one to each other, so it gave them the chance to share their ideas in English.

There was something that I know needs to be improved; it was the grammar explanation in which I had to demonstrate the right use of the article previously mentioned. I wanted to be as much clear as possible, so I presented some grammatical rules, but later, I could noticed that students were kind of confused; because of that I just showed them a pair of examples to clarify any doubt.

I think it could be better just to show the real use of the article without giving any rule because it confused my students a little; I learned that by giving too many rules we not always are being specific. I think that it might be better to present a few examples on charts or any other kind of visual aids and explain the reason why we use the articles like that.

I am missing one practice with this group, so I expect to learn something new this coming week.

5 comentarios:

  1. Wow teacher Ovi, I can see that you are growing up as teacher. It sounds it was a very good class. I also know that not only the students are learning from us, but also we as practitioners are learning from our students.

    It's really nice what you say about grammar. Sometimes our students get confused because of the way we explain some things.

    I will take into account the different things you mentioned about this class. Good luck for the last class. GO AHEAD, MY FRIEND.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Ovidio,

    I totally agree with you when you say that is is bette rto show the students the use of the articles instead of giving them those confusing rules. I truly believe that providing the students with examples in which they see the use of the language is bette than spending too much time with the rules.

    I can see that you are getting a good experience with each class and every group that you are teaching. As you say, there is always something to improve; we just need to be open to suggestions from our colleagues because they can give us really good advice.

    Keep on learning and sharing your experiences with us.

    Cristian Meléndez

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Ovy I know that you are working hard and I am sure that you are learning many important things from every day experiences. I just want to comment something related to teaching grammar. If there is something that I have learned during the whole teaching practicum is that the best way of teaching grammar is teaching it in a context and not as isolated rules because students understand better if we teach grammar structure in the way we use it in our every day life. Of course that to learn how to teach grammar in context takes time, but it doesn't mean that is not possible for us. We have to look for new ways to teach grammar.

    Continue working hard!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hey friend. I agree with you. It is not easy to teach grammar. We usually have problems when teaching grammar because it's kind of difficult, and that's why we have to look for the right techniques to explain it. I have had troubles when teaching grammar, but I have learned that if you use other methods or techniques to teach it, you get your students attention and they understand better.
    Continue doing the best of you my friend. you are a nice teacher!!!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Hello teacher Ovix!!
    It calls my attention when you say that you learned from this class. I think that it is a really important part of our teaching practicum because we are paying attention to the things that worked well with one group and the things that did not go well. This shows us that we plan one thing. but at the moment of teaching is where reality takes place.

    You said that you presented a set of rules to the students when you were explaining grammar. The good point about this is that you noticed that the students got confused with all those rules. That means that you learned a lot this day classmare!
    Congratulations and remember that we are humans and that we learn from every mistake we do! At the end, mistakes are not so bad!

    ResponderEliminar