viernes, 15 de octubre de 2010

Unlearning many things

This was the first day teaching in Advanced English I, and the only thing that I can say right now is “what a nice experience!!” I have to tell you that before the class; it was so hard for me because I got very nervous; it was normal due to the fact that all my partners were afraid of teaching in that group, so my first impression when I knew I was going to be the lucky one was not so pleasant for me.
There are many sentences that can be set as the title of this experience; however, I consider that the most appropriate is “unlearning many things” I decided to use this title because of many points I could notice that were not as I thought they were.
First of all, I learned that our worst enemy at the moment of teaching is our predisposition; I got very nervous because of I had never worked with that group and because I did not know the way the tutor used to evaluate practitioner’s classes. Guess what? I realized that the only thing you need in order to get good grades is to be confident about what you are going to do; it means to get prepared in advanced, so that at the moment of being teaching, everything goes as you had planned.
Something that I will never forget is a very interesting suggestion my tutor gave me; I have been writing objectives for every class that I have to teach; however I did not know that I was making a mistake at the moment of writing them; that problem was basically the structure of it. I wrote the following objective “to read, analyze and discuss about the main ideas presented in the written material”; as I said before that is the structure I have been using for a long time, so what I learn was that when we write as an objective the verb discuss we do not need to use the word about. In order words, the right structure is “to discuss the main ideas presented in the written material
I am just waiting for next week class.

3 comentarios:

  1. I don't like to say this, my dear classmate, but... I TOLD YOU!!!!!!! haha
    As I told Lili, maybe he wasn't as bad as you thought. I'm glad to know you did good, and that you liked working with this group. It's really nice when you are working with people that you feel comfortable with. I had the experience of working with groups in which I didn't feel good at all because of their behavior, and, since I had no choice, I had to do a double effort to deal with it. CONGRATS teacher Ovi :) :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Well Ovidio, i will not say that phrase jajaja because i need to put on your shoes to have the right to say something about this new experience for you. I will only say that i am glad to see that you did not have problems with this first class.

    something that really called my attention was when you mentioned that you learned something new. Something that you have been doing for a long time in awrong way and that you could change it. I admire the way you have seen this new adventure. I honestly know that you will be polished in this group. You will learn many important things not only from the students, but also from your tutor. Congratulations Teacher Ovidio Torres!!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi teacher ovy!
    Congratulations because as I can see, you did a great job in your first experience at Advanced English I. I understand that working with an advanced group is a challenge for us because we are affraid of the kind of questions they can make but as you said, when you as teacher are ready for the class, things will be easier.
    I am sure you will learn a lot in this group and you will want a fourth period to work with them!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

    ResponderEliminar