lunes, 9 de agosto de 2010

Second Entry

This was the second week working with students of Intermediate English I, and something that I would like to mention is that every single day I learn something new. I hoped to have a better experience in the second session, but it was not like that. At the beginning of the class I faced the situation that not all of the students were in the classroom, and I had an activity to be done in order to open the class, but I could not do it because I had to wait for the rest of the students.
It was planned to keep the students sit randomly distributed, so I gave each of the students a different card containing the image of some fruit; then I mentioned the names of the fruit one by one, so students had to sit following the order that I gave them. It was a successful activity at the beginning, but the second activity required students to move their desks and make a circle; that was the problem because after the activity some of the students wanted to continue sitting next to the person they are accustomed, so I had to establish the order again.
I think it could be better if I established the order after the second activity and not before; I could see that I spent valuable time doing it again; however, this is something that I think might be changed in future classes.
The rest of the class was very well organized, so I did not have any difficulties. I made a review of the structure there is and there are so it was not difficult for me because students already knew some rules to be taken into account. I don’t know if it happens to you colleagues, but I feel that time flies when we are teaching it is great because I see that I like what I do.
There is going to be another experience this coming week, so I hope to learn many new things and share them with you.

6 comentarios:

  1. Ovidio,

    It is great that you realize that you really like teaching. My question is, what strategy should you or the teacher use in order to make students be on time for the class? I know that it is a problem when you have prepared a warm up and students do not come on time, but you have to start your class.

    Cristian Meléndez

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hello teacher Ovy!!

    Something that called my attention about your journal is "I feel that time flies when we are teaching". I guess that it is happening to all of us. In my case, I almost always do not develop the last activity because I do not like to take time from my tutor´s class. But, I think that it is better when time flies because that means that we are enjoying the teaching practice.

    I can see that you are having problems trying to make students work with different students. I guess that the way you organized them took too much time. Unfortunately, I have the same problem and I have no idea about what to do! (I wish I could give you an idea). If someone has an idea, please share it!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. It is nice to see that you`re getting new experiences with this new group. I think that it is a big problem when you want to move your students to work with another person. They just don`t like to, but I think it is necessary to set some rules from the beginning asking for their cooperation when teaching because they`ll be there in your place one day, and also because they have to share ideas,information and other things with the others classmate. Go on my dear friend.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Ovy I'm happy to know that you like what you do!
    Something very hard for teachers is to have all the students on time in the classrooms to start the class. As we know sometimes it is very hard for teachers to be on time in the classrooms and this is what happens with students too, but I think this is something that has to do with responsibility. I think that if students see that they have a responsible teacher, they will try to be responsible too. Not all the students will arrive on time to the classroom, but some of them will do it. I know you are a responsible teacher and this will help you to be like a model to your students.
    Continue working hard my friend.
    Cheers for you Ovy : )

    ResponderEliminar
  5. The good thing about messing up is that it becomes a chance to learn and get some experience on things that can happen with certain activities. In this way, you will probably not fail in when you do it again. Despite all the inconveniences, I think that you have really good ideas and that's something very important. We can have the best students ever, but if we don't have good ideas, they will more likely not learn much with us... Cheers!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. It is hard to begin the class with some students and not with the complete group. You should try to bring activities in which you don`t need a lot of students and leave the big activities to be developed in the class. It is true "time flies" and that is NICE.... because you`re nervous to be in front of them....so enjoy the few minutes you`re there...

    ResponderEliminar